Pages

Tuesday, August 18, 2009

AX7 - Fernwood


AX7 tagged Ruddy Turnstone
Detail with bird AX7

Shorebirds Confederation Bridge

Shorebirds Confederation Bridge

Recently on a trip to Fernwood, I photographed some shorebirds roosting at high tide. There were mostly Ruddy-Turnstones, a few Sandpipers and some Bonaparte's gulls. Upon close inspection of the images to pick the best ones, I noticed that one of the Ruddy-Turnstones had a green tag on it's leg. So I did a quick web search on bird tags an came up with an email for a scientist with the Canadian Wildlife Service. She quickly responded and I sent her some images and she forwarded them to her counterpart in the US. He emailed me back with some detail on that bird :



FL(AX7) was banded on Reeds Beach, New Jersey, USA on 18-May-08 with federal band #1282-01166.


He also provided me a link to a new website that is a database to report and track sightings of tagged shorebirds. www.bandedbirds.org

March 2010 Update! the little guy was spotted in Bequia, St. Vincent & the Grenadines see the comments and map below

4 comments:

Shelley L. MacKenzie said...

First time to your blog. You've got some gorgeous photos! I've bookmarked your blog and will return again!

Shelley @ Shutterbug
http://shelleyslens.blogspot.com

Julia said...

Came upon your blog by accident as we were searching the web for info on Ruddy Turnstone AX7.
I am on holiday in Bequia, St. Vincent & the Grenadines and have spotted your little bird!!
We saw it amongst a flock of 23 Turnstones on the shore. It has the light green tag AX7 on the left upper leg, but seems to have some kind of metal stick or rod inpaled into its leg at the top causing it to hop instead of walk.
Despite this it seems to be doing just fine. We have several photos of the bird showing the tag and we have registered iys sighting pn the website you suggested in you blog. If you would like me to send you some pics please can you tell me how as I am new to this blogging lark! Its been amazing to see your photo of the self same bird in PEI Canada then to go down to the beach here in the West Indies and see him strutting on the sand. Hopefully he will be fit enough to make it back up to the breeding grounds in Canada. Why not go back to Fernwood this year and try to see him again. He's the one with the limp!
Cheers Julia.

Gordon said...

Wow Julia, that's great! The beach in Fernwood is at my parents place so I will be back there this summer... ya never know :) it would neat to see the photos you took you can email them to me if you like: gordophoto(at)gmail.com

cheers!
Gordon

J.C. Fernández-Ordóñez said...

Hi,

Can I include your photos and tagging information at my blog about bandend/tagged birds in Puerto Rico and the Caribbean?

http://anillaspuertorico.blogspot.com/

With the best wishes,

Juan Carlos
avesenmano@gmail.com